Wednesday, July 04, 2007

She


"She" I'm talking about the song...(not Heidi Swapp) that goes....

She may be the face I can't forget
The trace of pleasure or regret
Maybe my treasure or the price I have to pay
....and so on.

Well, it was originaly written by Charles Aznavour and Herbert Kretzmer.
Anyway, Elvis Costello does this awesome cover of it on the soundtrack for the movie Notting Hill, (one of my favorite films, by the way.)

So, I've been wanting to get a copy of that version of the song for years now, and the only place that I've seen it is on the Notting Hill movie soundtrack, which I refuse to buy, mostly because I absolutely hate Ronan Keating's version of "WhenYou Say Nothing at All". Yes, lots of people have covered that song, and there are some out there that I feel are even better than the original( Alison Krauss), but the reason that I hate the Ronan Keating version (and yes, he does have an awesome first name) is because he changes some of the lyrics, (and I know that this happens a lot, but it bugs me with this song) and takes out one of my favorite lines...

"Old Mr. Webster
could never define,
What's been said
between your heart and mine"

Yes, I know that it's cheesy, but hey, it's a country song! Anyway, he changes it to....

" Try as they may
They can never define
What's been said
between your heart and mine "

Which to me, is significantly less memorable...I mean, what the heck is wrong with Mr. Webster? He is the expert on defining now isn't he? Was Mr. Keating afraid that perhaps a definition would surface if you pointed people to the man at the top?

But forgive me, I digress....

Anyway, the point is that I refuse to buy the stupid soundtrack. So, I think that Elvis Costello has some 2 disc greatest hits collection or something, but I already have tons of Elvis Costello, and it's like $20.

So....I think, a-ha! Steve Jobs can help me with this dilemma....so I go to itunes, which is where you can purchase just one song off of an album (pretty much the only time I buy itunes over traditional CDs, unless it's some unreleased rarity etc.) and guess what...

They don't have it. Grrrrrrrr.

I'm sure that there are other MP3 sites that carry it, but I'm not in the mood to go checking all of them today. I'm also sure that I could easily download it illegally....and my defense would be that "Steve Jobs let me down!", but I'm not willing to mess with all that either.

So basically, "She" will have to wait.....probably another 6months till it pops into my head again, and think, "Man, I really love that version, I should get that..."

No comments: